Mon, 27 Mar|
ESSL Research and Training Centre
Course: Aviation Forecasting of Severe Convection
The course will translate leading-edge science and forecasting concepts into the practical forecasting needs for aviation meteorology.
Time & Location
27 Mar, 10:00 GMT+2 – 31 Mar, 13:00 GMT+2
ESSL Research and Training Centre, Bräunlichgasse 6a, 2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
About the event
- Ingredients-based probabilistic forecasting of severe convective gusts (both from gust fronts and downbursts), large hail, and tornadoes.
- Forecasting storm coverage and storm top height.
- Forecasting the predominant convective mode (storm type), and anticipating the related predominant hazards.
- Anticipating severe turbulence in the presence of AACPs (Above-Anvil Cirrus Plumes) above and downstream of overshooting cumulonimbus clouds.
- Nowcasting of convection, including dealing with convective developments where numerical model guidance is poor.
Our senior trainer, Dr. Tomáš Púčik, is as passionate about forecasting severe convective storms as one can be. Alongside his past experience in forecasting severe weather at national weather services and at ESTOFEX, he is an active researcher in severe storm environments at the ESSL.
Each day will consist of a morning lecture and of a practical afternoon exercise.
The four afternoon exercises will deal with interesting cases of relevance for aviation forecasting in Europe. Dr. Tomáš Púčik: “Afternoon exercises will involve forecasting convection either in the current situation or using past cases for different parts of Europe in small groups. After the forecast, a discussion will follow with an emphasis on the subject that was studied during the morning”.
Lecture and exercise times: Mon 10:00 – 17:00 Tue 09:00 – 17:00 Wed 09:00 – 17:00 Thu 09:00 – 17:00 Fri 09:00 – 13:00, optional Testimonials 14:00 to 16:00
At the end of the course you will receive a participation certificate. You may choose to take an exam on Friday after the course and earn a testimonial.
Course Aviation Forecasting
From €1,290.00 to €1,490.00
Registration fee for course "Aviation Forecasting of Severe Convective Storms"
From €1,290.00 to €1,490.00Price optionPriceQuantityTotal